Probate and Estate Administration Services
We all suffer when there is a death in the family and often the last thing that you wish to tackle is sorting out the legal and financial affairs of the deceased.
This can be an upsetting and daunting process, which is why we aim to lift the burden from your shoulders and deal with obtaining probate and administering the estate whilst you are coming to terms with your loss.
Our Probate Team is led by Nick Skerratt, one of only a handful of Chartered Accountants in the country to be licensed by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales to perform Probate work.
Nick works closely with our Probate Manager, Jane Barlow, who is a qualified Chartered Legal Executive with over 40 years’ experience of probate matters, and a CILEx registered Probate Practitioner; Jessica Long, a trainee Chartered Legal Executive; and Charlotte Kent, a fully qualified solicitor.
Nick and his team are experienced in acting as executors or assisting other executors with their onerous legal responsibilities and pride themselves on their sensitive and caring approach. We will assist with:
- Completing the Probate application form and substantial and complex Inheritance Tax forms.
- Dealing with the Income Tax affairs of the deceased.
- Optimising the Inheritance Tax reliefs available.
- Arranging the settlement of the Inheritance Tax liabilities, making arrangements to pay by instalments where applicable.
- Settling any debts of the deceased.
- Gathering in the cash tied up in the deceased’s bank accounts and investments.
- Securing pension and life assurance benefits.
- Arranging for property to be transferred into the name of the beneficiary.
- Preparing estate accounts and completing estate Tax Returns.
- Distributing the estate to the beneficiaries.
It is possible to vary the contents of the will of the deceased up to two years after their death, which may provide the opportunity to save significant amounts of Inheritance Tax. Our Tax Team can review the will and estate assets in order to ensure that the tax saving opportunities are not missed.
Acting as an executor can be a considerable burden but we can do a great deal to lighten the load.
We also offer a Probate and Estate consultancy service to solicitors. For more information, click here.